I love to spend hours scouring the Internet looking for the perfect place to stay in Colombia for a few days. A special hotel or finca to enjoy the real Colombia. Years ago, in Boyacá, one of the most beautiful departments of Colombia, in the Andes Mountains, I found the house Casa Yerbabuena. What is also a glamping. An orange pearl on an unknown lake in the middle of nature far away from everything. The house is very literally off the beaten track and I liked it so well the first time that we have since been there 3 times. Curious? Take a quick look at what makes this place so tremendously special and have a unique experience in Colombia.
A dream home off the beaten path in Colombia
It is almost impossible to imagine, but this particular house is really off the beaten track. Even to the point that the owner recommended arriving before dark, otherwise it is almost unfindable. From the paved road between Tunja and Toca, there is a left turn up a dirt road. A dirt road full of bumps and holes. Soon the view of the lake appears: breathtaking! Four kilometers we continue on the dirt road before we arrive at our dream house. Our first reaction is: wow! A brightly colored old finca at the lake. So far from civilization that the first shop or restaurant is at least 20 minutes away by car. This is particularly beautiful!
Casa Yerbabuena: an amazing hotel in Colombia
Casa Yerbabuena is not an ordinary secluded hotel, but a finca that you rent as a whole. The old house has a wooden roof and 3 bedrooms. Each with a private bathroom (one with jacuzzi) and there is a fourth bathroom with bathtub.
The owner of the house is not present, only someone who comes just before breakfast and leaves again in the evening. All day this person is there to clean and provide breakfast/lunch/dinner, but in the evening you have the whole finca to yourself. Pretty exciting the first night so far away from everything. Sleeping under a wooden roof that you know is full of spiders.
Due to the high altitude of 2800 meters, it cools down considerably in the evening, fortunately there is the fireplace in the cozy living room to keep you warm. The large kitchen also provides everything you need to prepare a complete meal.
What is there to do in the middle of nowhere?
Despite its remote location, you won’t be bored here. On the grounds there is a tennis court, badminton, table tennis and hammocks with a view, canoes for the lake, you may use the bicycles provided free of charge and there are also horses available to take a beautiful ride through the area.
Supplies are available for all these activities: life jackets, rackets, balls, bats, you name it. And if that’s not enough, the house also has a variety of table games for when it rains. You can also take a boat tour of the lake with the owner. Very relaxed because there is literally no one there.
There are also many hiking and biking opportunities in the area. But actually, this house is so beautiful and restful that you can simply spend hours on the terrace staring at the deserted lake.
- The finca is located at 2800 meters in the Andes Mountains.
- It rains quite a lot, but when the sun is shining, it is immediately very warm. The weather can turn quickly. The best time to visit this place is mid-December through February.
- In the house there is wifi in the kitchen.
- Payment can only be made in cash.
- From the jacuzzi, you look at the stars through a glass ceiling.
- The delicious breakfast is included in the price; you have to pay for lunch or dinner. You can also do your own shopping and the person who is there that day will help you cook.
- They serve, among other things hot chocolate with cheese.
- A menu is available, with few options. The most delicious we found was the cheese fondue. Barbecuing is also possible.
- Want to prepare your own food? Then buy all the ingredients in advance, since there is no supermarket nearby.
- In the kitchen there is a large pitcher of mineral water. Better not drink the water from the tap.
- Canoeing on the lake is very special: there is really no one at all but you and nature!
- The finca is ideally suited to rest and fully enjoy Colombian nature. You won’t encounter other tourists.
- We loved it so much, that we have now been there 3 times (including 2 times at Christmas) and will definitely go back.
Practical: climate, what to bring and how to get there?
Due to the cool and wet climate, it is helpful to have a nice warm sweater with you, as well as clothes that are allowed to get wet/dirty. Something to play sports in can also come in handy. Also, don’t forget your sunglasses and sunscreen, as the sun is quite bright due to the altitude and you burn quickly. The finca is so far off the beaten path that it is difficult to get there without a car. If you have a car, you will find Casa Yerbabuena about 2.5 hours north of Bogotá, between Tunja and Toca, near Embalse de Copa. A two-hour drive away you will find Lago de Tota. Would you like to go there but don’t have a car? Then write here the owner for options!
Just you and nature: that’s what you experience in this finca. Booking is easiest through Booking.com. There you will also find prices and rooms. Prices do not include horseback riding, tax, any lunch and dinner. Don’t forget to tip the person who is there during your stay for cooking and cleaning.
Stay at Casa Yerbabuena and experience typical Colombian country life in a true dream spot!
This article used affiliate links. However, this article is not a collaboration with the house in question, but a recommendation from myself for the best experience in Colombia.